If you have data exported from database or spreadsheet software as a CSV file, you can open it with Excel, LibreOffice or OpenOffice. We show what you have to be observed, so that the CSV data is also displayed correctly per column and you see no text clutter.882724Five Tips for Microsoft Excel
What is a CSV file?
- Save CSV files records in plain text form, with individual fields or cells with comma or semicolon separated.
- Hence the name CSV (Comma Separated Values).
When you open the file type in Word or OpenOffice Writer, you often see only pure, unformatted text columns. It is better to open the records with spreadsheet programs such as Excel. Here, you must make sure that you do not only open, but imported, so that values are transmitted correctly in the column and formatted.Incorrectly imported: Excel does not display the CSV data to each column.
Open CSV file in Excel
- Open Excel and click on the tab dates.
- Click the left button retrieve external data and selects from text out. This works in addition to CSV for PRN and TXT files.
- Now select the CSV file and clicks Import.
Now a conversion wizard opens. If you did not know, exported settings with which your CSV file, the following give a:
- Selects the first step in the file type Separated out. well below If unreadable characters are displayed in the Data Preview, need her file origin specify the correct character set, for example, Unicode (UTF-8).
Selects here "Disconnected" from.
- In the second step you sit at separator the checkbox comma. At the bottom of Excel indicates how the data is displayed formatted later. If the view is not correct, try semicolon or another option to share the values correctly to the Excel columns.
The Data preview you can see whether the records are divided correctly on the columns.
- In the last step you choose at File format of the columns the option default from, click Complete and confirmed the message window.
Here you can see the result. Excel has the CSV data properly divided on the column:Properly imported: Excel has the CSV data is read correctly.
openable CSV files with LibreOffice Calc
- Opens LibreOffice Calc.
- Chooses Open file &# 8230; and selects the CSV file.
- As with Excel is an import dialog, which you have to einstellten correctly when Excel opens above. Watch out here on the right font and formatting. Below you can see a preview on the right you can evaluate the settings selected.
- Confirmed afterwards with OK.
Open CSV files with OpenOffice Calc
- Opens the menu Insert and selects Table from file.
- the conversion wizard will open in a new window.
- Selects the character set Western Europe (Windows-1252 / WinLatin 1) and a separation option Separated and comma.
Under certain circumstances, you must also select different formatting options for the CSV data is correctly imported and displayed.
Posted In: software