Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich", which was presented in autumn 2011 version of Google's mobile operating system has so many new features like no Android version jump so far. Ice Cream Sandwich, abbreviated ICS makes the smartphone and tablet OS finally become a mature and adult iOS competitors. In our overview of the new features and functions of Android 4.0 we carry for you together.
History of Ice Cream Sandwich
In the early morning hours (CEST) of October 19 2011 Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich was presented together with Google's new flagship smartphone Galaxy Nexus, in Hong Kong. First and most important task of ICS: The previously separate Android OS versions for smartphones (Gingerbread), tablets (Honeycomb) and Google TV merge. So with the release of Android version 4.0 both new smartphones, tablets and Google TV devices with Ice Cream Sandwich equipped, older equipment be retrofitted by their manufacturers via update. Galaxy Nexus was delivered from the start with Ice Cream Sandwich, the previous year's model Nexus S got the update in mid-December, shortly after the source code release. How ICS presents itself on a tablet, initially was considered only in the form of screenshots of an Android emulator. Meanwhile, however, official updates for tablets like ASUS Transformer Prime and Motorola XOOM have appeared.
Ice Cream Sandwich for Developers
Behind the scenes - that is for the developers - is growing along with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, what belongs together: A single API framework will facilitate the programming of apps and the time put an end where applications only inconvenient for the other hardware had to be adapted platform. The different screen sizes of tablets and smartphones are no longer pose an obstacle in the future. Or, as has Mike Claren the Android development team at Google I / O formulated in May this year: "We want an OS that runs everywhere." Already, developers of Android apps to customize their applications for Ice Cream Sandwich. On the Android Developers page for the official SDK and source code are available for download.
Of course, primarily smart phones benefit from the many improvements and optical gimmicks that you could begin to admire already in Android 3.x Honeycomb on tablets. These include the "holographic" user interface, advanced multitasking or better and freely changeable in size widgets. According to Google Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" is intended to represent any higher hardware requirements and should therefore run on older devices easily.
(YouTube Direct Link)
Innovations and improvements in Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich"
Among the main features of Android 4.0 include:
- New user interface with Roboto font, new animations, consistent Kontexmenüs and the fashionable soft button bar. In addition, resizable and scrollable widgets for the home screen, folders, and a scrollable list of the last opened tabs.
- cut out new features and functionality, redesigned apps like a native screenshot function, which can be triggered by simultaneously pressing the power and the "Volume Down" button, an improved keyboard with revised error correction and the possibility of words and contents within to move the text. In addition, a speech-to-text input now works almost instantaneously.
- Face Unlock: The device unlocked on request only when the registered face of the user is in the front camera.
- New browser with tabbed browsing, native synchronization with the Chrome bookmarks, offline store of web pages and to separate changing the user agent for each page and each tab.
- The Gmail app gets the new action bar at the bottom of the screen. The app also allows offline search in the mail, and simply switch back and forth between open message by swiping. Especially cool look, the new addressee that present themselves in the form of "chips" complete with a small photo.
- A new calendar, which offers improved optics and pinch-to-zoom allows for better visibility.
- A data counter that measures the consumed volume of data and records. Particularly useful for users with or without severe Datenflat: It is possible to set alarms or barriers, if a limit is reached on data volume. In addition, the data volumes can still be broken down individually on the period and app.
- Camera app: photos can be quickly shoot and pass, image processing and the filter is integrated, as well as face detection for better focus and a panorama function. The gallery gets a new "magazine" layout missed. Insgfesamt Camera app is made clearer and more accessible.
- When capturing video, are now possible on time-lapse video, the camera can refocus while recording and even in low light conditions still good results.
- Revised contacts manager that stores all the information, social networking accounts and status updates to a person in a very chic digital index card.
- "Beam": a service that can be exchanged by simply stringing holding two NFC-enabled devices all possible data, such as links, Maps locations or even applications (of course, only the appropriate page in the Android Market, not the app itself). More on this in our Android Beam hands-on video.
- Revised OpenGL graphics drivers, and 2D hardware acceleration.
- Improved Settings: Device settings are accessible, better located options.
- Pre-installed apps are easy to disable.
- Improved Download Manager: easily add downloads and remove.
- Full encryption of smartphones: The already known of Honeycomb tablets encryption, comes to mobile phones with Android 4.0 operating system.
- Audio Effects: Per developer API played tones can be provided with effects.
- quit apps by Task Overview: About the Task Manager can be running in the background apps quit by "wiping" the corresponding window just to the right.
- Also, notifications and browser tabs can be closed individually by swiping.
- Offline mode for the browser
- Wifi Direct: Direct ad-hoc connections between devices.
- Support for new video codecs and containers.
- Forced zoom in the browser for pages that do not allow
- Customizable touch buttons: The Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the first in a presumably long line of devices that do not have hardware buttons more.
- Various Honeycomb features to smartphones.
- VPN: If you're traveling, but a secure Internet connection required, can now "tunnel" also via an encrypted VPN connection to all traffic. Useful that is about to bypass the geo-resolution IP addresses. With a US VPN service you can use so limited as well on the US services like Netflix, Hulu and Spotify.
More detailed information and pictures about the features and functions of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich be found in our articles on the subject - for example here or here. Additional information on Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" of course there are the same rules.
Ice Cream Sandwich Updates
The first device that is equipped with Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich", that the built by Samsung Galaxy Nexus, followed by the previous Google's flagship Nexus S. Many other already available and upcoming tablets and Samrtphones will follow. Exactly when and in what order, we predicted the end of 2011, now there are already more or less concrete Update roadmaps of major manufacturers such as Samsung and HTC.
The current latest Ice Cream Sandwich version is Android 4.0.3. The code name Ice Cream Sandwich next version will probably be Jelly Bean &# 8211; However, it is still unclear whether it 4.1 or 5.0 is version Android.
Ice Cream Sandwich via custom ROM
Not all devices will receive an update to Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich", customers must often wait months for the appropriate update. Many then resent via manufacturer surfaces such as HTC Sense, Motorola Blur or Samsung TouchWiz. Since the Android world has a large community of hobbyists and amateur programmers, but a relatively "pure" Ice Cream Sandwich is also to such devices are installed, often much earlier than the manufacturers deliver their updates. The most popular custom ROM CyanogenMod is based in Version 9 on the compiled source code of Android 4.0 and only gently expands the original Android. The CyanogenMod 9 has been available for many devices in early versions, including for the Samsung Galaxy S2, the HP TouchPad and numerous other devices.ManufacturerfromAmir Tamannai
Other topics: Googlevideos & product images
- Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGS2) - Ice Cream ...
- product images
Posted In: Android