Sometimes you can not access certain files or folders in Windows. Windows then denies access. This is then usually it because it does not have the correct permissions. We show how you can still access the files.
Note: If you can not access files and folders on the network, looking here for: Windows 10: No access to network files and folders.
Access to files and folders denied: Missing permissions
If Windows has denied access to files and folders, there are two main causes:
- The file is currently by another program (Or other user over the network) used.
- You do not have the permissions required, to edit the folders and files - in Windows Language: her has they do not, but another user.
Solution 1: In the first case it is sufficient to close the associated program. Starts the PC simply new if you do not know what program just blocked the files. Otherwise you can look in the Task Manager and terminate the associated program process. Often a program continues in the background, even though the Windows window is already closed. If with you more people have access to the same files, they could also currently access it.
Solution 2: In the second case, can you try to log on as administrator in Windows to change or edit files, see Windows 10: Enable Administrator account.
If that does not work, you are probably not registered as the owner of the files. That can change their manually:
- Click with the right mouse button on the file (s), select Properties and switch to the Security tab.
- Click below on the Advanced button.
- In the new window you click on the tab Owner.
- In the next window you will select your Windows user name.
- now closes all windows with the OK button.
You are not finished yet. Opens the properties again:
- Returns to the Security tab.
- Click on the Edit button.
- Pick your Windows user name of the new window.
- Including their places a check mark in full control in the list.
- Closes all windows with OK.
alternative can you also try the program Unlocker that automatically unlocks many files. When the program starts you select the files and can then unlock, delete, rename, copy or move.
Read for more troubleshooting:
- File can not be deleted &# 8211; may be because&# 8217; s are
- Folders can not be deleted - Here&# 8217; s still
Access denied in command prompt
If you in the command prompt (CMD) of the access to files, folders, or program functions is denied, then there is the most mind that this requires the administrator authority.
- Close command prompt and reopen with administrator privileges.
- Opens to the Start menu, type in cmd and click cmd.exe in the search results while holding down the Shift and Ctrl keys.
Posted In: software