The Heimlich handle is known from many Hollywood blockbusters. There is a first aid measure if food particles have been swallowed and threatens to choke someone. If a foreign body closes the respiratory tract, the brain can survive only about 3-5 minutes without oxygen. Here, the Heimlich maneuver is used as a life-saving measure. How and when you should use the Heimlich maneuver, you read below in our guide.
What is the Heimlich handle?
- Was developed by the doctor Henry J. Heimlich and first described in 1974.
- Because of the potential injuries that can cause the handle, the Heimlich maneuver was controversial. Since 2010 it is again recommended.
- It is applied if swallowed when coughing did not help and threatens to suffocate the patient. Here should run the Heimlich maneuver trained paramedics or first responders.
- Beat initially compress between the shoulder blades in order to subsequently the abdominal cavity (the abdomen). The case applied handle is Heimlich maneuver. Checks if the debris was sucked out by the overpressure. If not, repeat the Heimlich maneuver up to five times.
buy first aid kit at Amazon*
Heimlich maneuver &# 8211; so is&# 8217; s
You turn the Heimlich maneuver as follows at adults at:
- Imagine behind the patient and includes his epigastric. One of your hands is a fist under his ribs. Positioned directly between the navel and sternum end centrally below the ribs. The other hand it includes.
- hands pulling now jerky straight back to you (the direction of the abdominal wall of the patient). So the pressure increases in the lungs and the foreign body to be transported out.
- Performs this Heimlich handle up to five times by until the foreign body has dissolved.
You are alone and you have so much swallowed that you can not breathe and the Heimlich maneuver in yourselves must apply, take a chair zuhilfe. Here, too, form the best hands fists that lie just below the sternum. Drop down on the chair back, so that enough pressure can be built.
Measures in infants
- Infants who are older than 1 year, in the prone position held upside down (preferably leaning on the arm of the lap or thigh). Supports the head with the thumb and one or two fingers of the same hand. These include the lower jaw. Exerts no pressure on the fabric underneath the chin, so that a free breathing can be made possible.
- knocking now with the palm of his hand five times between the shoulder blades.
Has not helped, you can the Heimlich maneuver even in infants apply.
- Put him in supine position on your lap or thigh.
- suppressed by two fingers five times on the chest of the baby below the sternum. Here you should about 1/3 of the height of the sternum Push.
These two methods can change it and repeat several times if it was not successful the first time.
The patient must then diagnose the hospital for any injuries and treat for examination.
Quick help to children: Emergency medicine for parents on Amazon*
Risks of the Heimlich maneuver
However, the life-saving Heimlich maneuver carries some risks and should be applied only in cases of acute suffocation, therefore, if the foreign body by coughing partout not want to solve. The following are the risks when Heimlich Handle:
- internal injuries of various organs (liver crack, splenic rupture, cracking of the aorta)
- rib fractures
When you should apply the Heimlich handle?
Threatens to choke someone, for example, because food particles stuck with him in the trachea, the Heimlich maneuver is applied. It should lend a hand by way of first responders in the company. Waives the Heimlich grip at:
- (Use here two fingers to compress the chest) infants under one year of age.
- Unconsciousness (here cardiopulmonary resuscitation apply).
- Water in the lungs (drowning).
- Fishbone. Overpressure will not transport from the airways because they do not completely seal it.
First Aid Manual: buy knowledge, advice, self-help on Amazon*
Similar measures suffocation
Similar to the Heimlich handle is what the jaw thrust it to clear the airways. The patient lies and a second person lifts the lower jaw and pulls it forward so that the mouth is opened.NO First aid measures
In successful eden video shows how you can help in a choking fit.
- Remove tick: tick tweezers or tick card? When to see a doctor?
- Anatomy for Beginners: Where sits the liver?
- Non-prescription drugs at the pharmacy: Types, Application, costs
- insert and remove contact lenses: How to&# 8217; s
- Celiac disease: diagnosis and symptoms of gluten intolerance
Image Sources: SpeedKingz, elenabsl, ImagePoint Fri, corbac40 via Shutterstock
Posted In: software