If the process MsMpEng.exe causes high CPU utilization in the task manager, you may wonder what that is and whether you can disable it. We clarify.
MsMpEng.exe - what is it?
- MsMpEng.exe (Microsoft Malware Protection) is an anti-malware service and is part of the Microsoft Windows Defender virus scanner.
- MsMpEng.exe scans your PC in the background for spyware, viruses, trojans and rootkits.
- The location of the process is usually C: \ Program Files \ Windows Defender
- Your can watch the process in conjunction with the Windows Security Essentials installed.
Info: Formerly the MsMpEng.exe file was also used in connection with the program Windows Live OneCare (System solution for protecting the operating system).
- If the process also causes for hours high CPU usage, you can disable the Windows Defender.
- However, you should then install a different antivirus program, because your computer is otherwise unprotected.
- Temporarily can you process in the task manager and manually stop by right-clicking.
Look, if necessary, the best Windows security tools in the Photogallery to:
Posted In: software